As we draw closer to this year’s Can’t Stop the Serenity event, we’re working hard to make it our best experience yet!
First off, I’d like to remind everyone that tickets, t-shirts, and patches are already on sale, and can be pre-ordered here.
Time is running out to order your custom printed CSTS 2012 t-shirt!! I’ll be placing the order with our t-shirt supplier on September 10th to allow for plenty of shipping/printing time. We currently have a wide selection of sizes and colors available, but once blank shirts are ordered selection will be drastically reduced, and shirts will be sold on a first come/first served basis. Don’t miss your chance to get a truly shiny CSTS memento! Tickets and remaining t-shirt inventory will be available for pre-order until Friday, September 28th.
There’s a lot of information in the remainder of this update, please read through to the end. There may be a quiz.
After six great years at area Studio Movie Grill locations, we’re moving to the beautiful Bedford Movie Tavern for our 2012 event. This new location offers a more equitable distance from all points of the metroplex, as well as increased flexibility in scheduling and capacity.
Things are gonna be a little different though….
The biggest change will be in the theaters themselves. Because yes, that’s theaters – plural.
Our CSTS North Texas event has grown so much over the last few years that we’re in danger of outgrowing the largest capacity dinner theaters in the area. Movie Tavern’s largest single theater won’t accommodate the number of people who came to last year’s event, so they’ve graciously allowed us the opportunity to expand our operation into two side by side theaters, at no extra cost. This allows us to add another 150 available seats to the event, virtually eliminating worries about selling out, and ensuring that any Browncoat who wants to come has a place at the table.
How it will work:
- We’ll have two theaters right next door to each other, with raffle and auction items displayed on tables in the hallway between. Each theater will have its own host, and both will follow the same schedule of events.
- Guests will be divided evenly between theaters. I’d strongly recommend waiting until your party is complete before finding your spot, or informing late comers as to which theater you’re in. Movie Tavern will make every effort to see that parties are able to sit together. If you’ll have a particularly large party, contact me directly and I’ll reserve seats for you.
- Movie Tavern has a lovely lounge and patio area where we can all mingle together.
- Both theaters will run each contest event. This means more participation and more prizes!
- Raffles and auctions will run simultaneously in both theaters, and we’ve worked out a way for everyone in both theaters to bid on the same live auction items. Raffle items will be available to all attendees, and winners will be called out in both theaters.
- There may be some bumps along the way, but we’re doing everything we can to streamline communications between theaters and make sure everyone is included in every activity.
And now, the bad news. Following the recent tragedy in Aurora, Colorado, movie theaters across the country are re-examining their security measures. During a long talk with our coordinator, it came out that Movie Tavern is uncomfortable with people attending the event in costume – particularly costumes featuring any kind of mask, long coat, militaristic/tactical attire, or prop weaponry. Out of respect for the victims, and the sensitivities of our fellow theater patrons, we’ve been asked not to hold our traditional costume contest at the main event this year. I would respectfully ask that guests not come in costume, and understand that costumed attendees may be denied entrance by Movie Tavern staff. I know this is a blow to some of you, and I’m truly sorry. It really is beyond my control, and I don’t think it’s just the Movie Tavern – I think it’s just too soon. 🙁
But don’t despair! We’ve just scheduled a date for our 2012 Can’t Stop the Music showcase at The Grotto in Fort Worth. The owner is an avid Browncoat, and says that we’re more than welcome to hold a costume contest at his bar. We’ll also be holding a very special screening at this event that should be tons of fun! More on that in a separate post, this one’s already too long.
General (and probably unnecessary) notes:
- Guests are welcome to mingle in the lounge and patio, but please keep traffic between theaters and congregating in the hallway to a minimum. As unbelievable as it may seem, there will be other folks there seeing non-Space/Western cult classic movies. 😉 There are also fire codes, and waitstaff will be trying to keep food and beverage orders straight. Let’s make it as easy on them as possible.
- We’ve always had a food/beverage sales minimum that we have to cover, and it’s never been a problem. This arrangement comes with no extra theater rental costs, but we do have an increased sales minimum. I’d encourage you to eat well, enjoy a beverage or two, and show your waitstaff your appreciation (I’ve been informed in the past that theater waitstaff love our events and vie for the chance to work them :)) And, most importantly, tell/bring everyone you know! Increased capacity means more potential for fun, more opportunities to meet other Browncoats, and more funds raised for the fight against evil.
- While the Bedford Movie Tavern is a wonderful new venue, there’s a lot of construction around it at the moment. Traffic shouldn’t be too bad on a Sunday morning, but it would be wise to allow a little extra time just in case.
- Doors open at noon, the show starts at 1:00PM. There’s seating to arrange and a lot of stuff to see before we get started so get there early if possible!
And one more time, this year’s event details:
Sunday, September 30th
Bedford Movie Tavern
2404 Airport Freeway
Bedford, TX 76022
Construction Traffic Directions
See you all there!!